I’ve seen (and experienced) some icebreaker games where the questions were just too personal. Asking a stranger to share an embarrassing or awkward event really does not make that person feel like part of the group. And you certainly did not make a new friend yourself.
The person should feel that they aren’t going to be thought of badly because of how they answered a foolish question. So asking someone for their favorite color still says something about the person but no one is going to think they can’t be friends just because they like a different color. There aren’t too many people that have such an aversion to a color that they hold it against anyone for liking it.
It's always best to try to keep that in mind when thinking up questions. Consider how you would feel if you had to answer that too revealing question. Or if it wouldn’t bother you, think about what all the different people you know would feel about it. Odds are you know at least one shy or introverted, private person at work or in your family. And if you are still unsure ask some friends or family to give you their opinion of your questions before you use them at your event.
Remember the purpose of the icebreaker is to bring strangers together. The last thing you want is to cause them to judge each other and set up barriers between them getting to know each other and bonding.
Always keep it fun for everyone.
There are many games that use questions like this. You can use them as matching criteria, in a draw a question from a bowl, or as a way to divide people up into teams. These are meant to be easy and fast to answer and can even be used to keep people entertained if you are still waiting for something or someone to arrive.
- What is your favorite color?
- Name your favorite type of pie or cake. (alternately you could ask Which do you prefer? Pie or Cake – more people seem to like one or the other than that like both)
- Do you ever tell phone solicitors that you are not at home?
- Have you ever smuggled snacks or drinks into a movie or sporting event?
- Have you ever re-gifted a present you received?
- What is your favorite vegetable?
- Do pineapples ever belong on a pizza?
- Have you ever gone fishing?
- Would you rather stay up late or get up early?
- Were you born in (your state name here)?
- Have you ever traveled to another country?
- Do carrots ever belong in a cake?
- Do you prefer banana bread with or without nuts?
- Pumpkin Spice everything or Pumpkin Spice nothing?
- Would you rather eat out, order in, or cook?
- Have you ever broken a bone?
- Do you have any pets?
- What were you most known for in High School?
- What is a favorite song (or group) from when you were growing up (in HS or in college)?
- What kind of crust do you like on your pizza?